Friday, June 18, 2010

Geriatric Management Consulting #3



I will be forever grateful to the colleague who told me about this book, The E Myth Revisited, Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber. His insights and suggestions are so relevant to the caregiving enterprise that I can easily imagine a book entitled The C Myth, Why Most Caregiving Situations Don’t Work and What to Do About It.

“The problem with most failing businesses (read: caregiving situations) I’ve encountered is not that their owners don’t know enough about finance, marketing, management, and operations (read: medical matters)---they don’t, but those things are easy enough to learn---but that they spend their time and energy defending what they don’t know. The greatest businesspeople (read: caregivers) I’ve met are determined to get it right no matter what the cost.

And by getting it right, I’m not just talking about the business.

I mean that there is something uplifting, some vision, some higher end in sight that “getting it right” would serve.

An ethical certainty, a moral principle, a universal truth….this book is not about endings, but about beginnings, about the never-ending game, the delightful and exhilarating process, the continuous evolution of our senses, of our consciousness---of our humanness---which only comes from being present in the moment, from being attentive to what’s going on.

I believe that our business (read: caregiving) can provide us with a mirror to see ourselves as we are, to see what we truly know and what we don’t know, to see ourselves honestly, directly and immediately. (pages xiii-xv)

See why I love this book?

No comments: